Saturday, August 20, 2005

Today's Internet

Apart from the incredibly complex physical connections that make up its infrastructure, the Internet is held together by bi- or multi-lateral commercial contracts (for example peering agreements) and by technical specifications or protocols that describe how to exchange data over the network.
Unlike older communications systems, the Internet protocol suite was deliberately designed to be agnostic with regard to the underlying physical medium. Any communications network, wired or wireless, that can carry two-way digital data can carry Internet traffic. Thus, Internet packets flow through wired networks like copper wire, coaxial cable, and fiber optic; and through wireless networks like Wi-Fi. Together, all these networks, sharing the same high-level protocols, form the Internet.
The Internet protocols originate from discussions within the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF) and its working groups, which are open to public participation and review. These committees produce documents that are known as Request for Comments documents (RFCs). Some RFCs are raised to the status of Internet Standard by the Internet Architecture Board (IAB).
Some of the most used protocols in the Internet protocol suite are IP, TCP, UDP, DNS, PPP, SLIP, ICMP, POP3, IMAP, SMTP, HTTP, HTTPS, SSH, Telnet, FTP, LDAP, SSL, and TLS.
Some of the popular services on the Internet that make use of these protocols are e-mail, Usenet newsgroups, file sharing, Instant Messenger, the World Wide Web, Gopher, session access, WAIS, finger, IRC, MUDs, and MUSHs. Of these, e-mail and the World Wide Web are clearly the most used, and many other services are built upon them, such as mailing lists and web logs. The Internet makes it possible to provide real-time services such as Internet radio and webcasts that can be accessed from anywhere in the world.
Some other popular services of the Internet were not created this way, but were originally based on proprietary systems. These include IRC, ICQ, AIM, and Gnutella.
There have been many analyses of the Internet and its structure. For example, it has been determined that the Internet IP routing structure and hypertext links of the World Wide Web are examples of scale-free networks.

10 comments:

Quit Smoking said...

Hello fellow fisherman,

Did you know that 16% of the U.S. population goes fishing at least 16 days a year?

Did you also know that over 75% of the nations fishermen do not fish during "prime time"; fish feeding hours?

Those precious few moments before twilight can be absolutely magical. Even up until 11pm at night, the largest predators of any species feed ravenously.

Don't believe me? Check out Daniel Eggertsen's story, and a picture of a couple of his catches here : "Evening Secrets plus more"

I want you to do me a favor and try it out so I can see what you think of it, and if it works for you as well as it did for me.

You will be one of the first to try it out.

Gone Fishin',

Neil

Bill888 said...

Enjoyed your blog - thanks for sharing. I also have an interest in forex trader mentor. If you have time, check out my site forex trader mentor. Thanks for taking the time to share your blog.

. said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a capital forex blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

. said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a forex forecast blog, so I know what I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

Infactahost.com said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a increase traffic free site/blog. It pretty much covers increase traffic free related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

linroc said...

Hey everyone! Cool site! The customer support seems good and the technology jobs are endless. Maybe I will have a better directmatch searching for human resources
since my keyword "customer care jobs" did not fit as intended.
Glad I found you! Keep on keepin on!

linroc said...

John, hope all is well with your" match" search.
Maybe you can find looking for "careers" or jobs at www.directmatch4free.com
Just make sure you come back to this site to let us know how you are doing!

1stForex said...

Hi Cute buddy, I was surfing around looking for the latest news about foreign exchange currency converter when I'm came across this site. I found the Today's Internet post (and your blog) to be very interesting and entertaining. Even though your site is not exactly the foreign exchange currency converter related information I'm currently searching for, I'll be sure to bookmark this site for future reference. Thanks for the good information and keep up the terrific work.

1stForex said...

Hello Cute buddy great site! I was out scouring the web looking for the latest news about 4x made easy when I found your Today's Internet post. And even though the post is not compelelety related to the 4x made easy type of information I'm currently looking for, I understand why I found your site. The internet is loaded with an incredible amount of interesting and entertaining information like your site provides. I enjoy your site very much - keep up the great work!

1stForex said...

Hi there Cute buddy, I was doing some online research for new information on foreign exchange currency converter when I discovered this interesting topic about Today's Internet. This site, while not totally related to the foreign exchange currency converter news I was searching for, provides a lot of excellent and creative information. Thank you for the informative posts... I'll be sure to bookmark you and check back often! :)